The combination crisp toast with buttery sharp blue cheese and sweet creamy caramelized onions would be in the hors d’oeuvre hall of fame…if there was one. This is an excellent party food because you can make the toasts and the caramelized onions in advance. When you are ready to serve, warm the onions in the microwave and assemble. 5 minutes work and TA DA.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 baguette
- 3/4 lb soft blue cheese (like Castello Blue)
- 1 1/2 cups caramelized onions, room temperature or slightly warm
- 1/2 cup chopped italian flatleaf parsley (optional)
The amount this makes varies with size of your slices. It’s reasonable to get 30-35 toasts from this amount of ingredients.
Cut the baguette on an angle into slices 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick.
Place the slices on a cookie sheet.
Broil until golden brown (about 20 seconds in my oven), turn and broil the other side.
Shmear some blue cheese on each toast.
Top with warm caramelized onions and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Done and done. Wasn’t that easy? It was all I could do to keep from eating these until I took the photo. And they are excellent with a glass of cold white wine. Hmmmm. Don’t mind if I do.
- RECIPE — BLUE CHEESE TOASTS IN PRINTER-FRIENDLY FORMAT
- RECIPE — CARAMELIZED ONIONS IN PRINTER-FRIENDLY FORMAT